Directives to the Commissariat for Agriculture Re Modification of Instructions
|Written||5 August 1919|
Published: First published in 1933 in Lenin Miscellany XXIV. Printed from the manuscript.
Source: Lenin Collected Works, 2nd English Edition, Progress Publishers, 1971, Moscow, Volume 42, pages 140-141a
The instructions of the People’s Commissariat for Agriculture are to be modified and effective control is to be exercised through all Soviet agencies in the spirit of the following propositions:
1) Landowners or estate managers to be positively prohibited from occupying posts in state farms of the same or neighbouring uyezds in which these persons resided during the rule of the landowners.
2) Lists to be kept of estate managers and employees at state farms and surveillance to be kept over them as strictly as over military experts in respect of their counter-revolutionary bent.
3) The number of representatives of uyezd and gubernia land departments in state farms to be increased and greater control exercised over them by these departments.
4) Greater attention to the workers’ committees and their activities to be demanded of the trade union council.
5) Metayage and similar work in the state farms to be prohibited.
6) All state farm personnel to be prosecuted immediately in the event of their being unable to prove fulfilment by them of Article 59 of the Statute on Socialist Land Settlement, providing for assistance to be rendered to the local peasantry.
7) Forms of reporting and informing the local peasant population to be worked out for the state farms and workers’ committees.
8) Monthly reports to the CPC on fulfilment of the present rules to be demanded of the People’s Commissariat for Agriculture and of the workers’ committee in addition to those of 1 or 2 gubernia land departments of the most important gubernias.
9) The Central Statistical Board to extend its monographic description of the state farms by the inclusion of questions necessary for checking fulfilment of the above points.
10) Allocation of land to the state farms to be rechecked for possible excessive allotment of land or its seizure by non-proletarian organisations.
11) Nomination of candidates to the state farms by the gubernia and uyezd land departments to be made a general rule.
- Here the following text was inserted in the manuscript by Lydia Fotieva, Secretary of the CPC: “concerning the organisation and activities of the gubernia and district state farm administrations.”—Ed.
- Following this are the words “composed of” written in the manuscript by L. A. Fotieva.—Ed.
- Here the following text is inserted in the manuscript in Fotieva’s handwriting: “The commission to be given a week. Its summoning and report to be entrusted to Sereda.”—Ed.